Sport England, National Lottery funding01 March 2014
Thanks to funds from Sport England and the National Lottery, the club has been able to upgrade its facilities. This included a replacement of all the lights on the indoor tennis courts, the squash courts and in the gym area. the club has also installed a biomass boiler, reducing its reliance on fossil fuels and becoming a greener site.
130th Anniversary14 February 2010
PSL Champions17 July 2009
Chapel A won the National Premier Squash League. The players in the squad were Thierry Lincou, Alastair Walker, Chris Simpson, Laurence Delasaux and Jenny Duncalf.
Chapel A development01 January 2007
The club underwent a major redevelopment in which two new glass backed squash courts were built and three new artifical clay tennis courts. In addition the reception and bar areas were modernised and the changing rooms upgraded.
The gym opens its doors01 January 1986
In 1986 the gymnasium was set up in the wooden squash court. The range of equipment has grown steadily and is now a well equipped part of the club used by racket players as well as having a membership in its own right.
Jo Durie01 January 1986
1985 – Jo Durie visits the club to run a coaching clinic
Centenary Year01 January 1980
This was the centenary year of the club and by this stage Chapel A boasted four squash courts and in 1983 the club built three indoor tennis courts.
Chapel A continued its sporting success both in the Ladies and Men’s Yorkshire Tennis Leagues, and added to this by being crowned squash national champions in 1982 and 1983-85.
The photo shows the winning 1984-85 team – the team members were D.Poole, M Hornby, M Scott, D.Pearson, G.Mortimer and R.Townsend.
Indoor tennis courts01 January 1980
In 1983 the indoor tennis hall was built.
Chapel A Ladies became Yorkhire League Champions
The Hot Foot is born01 January 1961
The Hot Foot began in 1961 when Brian Bedford and Mike Ambler challenged each other to a race – the winner to be the recipient of one pint of beer to be paid for by the loser.
The number of entrants increased and each runner received a handicap in minutes and seconds so two trophies are competed for – the Hot Foot Trophy for the first runner past the post and the Bat out of L for Leather Trophy for the fastest time.
Wooden court laid01 January 1960
In addition squash was first introduced with the acquisition of a wooden court from Huddersfield LTC in 1960. To reflect this significant addition of another sport the current name of the club was adopted in 1963.
Floodlights01 January 1960
The early 60s saw the introduction of floodlights to the club.
Floodlights installed on the lower 3 shale courts by club members using former street lighting poles and tram wire support poles.
Official opening of floodlights on 5th October by Lord Mayor of Leeds with exhibition match by 4 left-handed British Davis Cup players, John Barrett, Billy Knight, Roger Taylor and Mark Cox
Chapel A players at Wimbledon01 January 1954
Michael Hann and Joyce Fulton (now Joyce Howden and a current member of Chapel Allerton) won the British Junior mixed doubles championship in 1954.
Michael played Wimbledon for 12 years from 1956 to 1967 and beat the 5th seed Chuck McKinley in the men’s singles in 1962. Joyce played for the Yorkshire County team for 26 years and played Wimbledon for 8 years, 5 times in the singles, 5 times in the ladies doubles and once in the mixed doubles with Roger Taylor reaching the last 16.
Michael Hann01 January 1954
Michael Hann went onto to become Yorkshire Singles Champion in 1956,1957,1959 and 1961.
Wimbledon Northern Qualifying tournament29 May 1927
This year saw the first time that Chapel A hosted a Wimbledon Northern Qualifying tournament.
Cyril Banks and Winifred Bower qualified.
Chapel A opens its doors29 May 1880
Chapel Allerton Lawn Tennis Club was formed in 1880 with 17 male members by Robert Middleton. The land was donated by WL Jackson, later to become Lord Allerton. The club had 5 grass courts and a wooden pavilion.
In 1881 Chapel A played its first match against Manningham and held its first Gentleman’s Singles Championships.
This photograph can be seen in the restaurant area upstairs in the club with all the names of members who entered the 1896 tournament.