YPL Match Report. Chapel A defeated by a strong Barnsley outfit.
04th Mar 2017
Barnsley v Chapel A
Wednesday 1st March
Sponsored by REWARD CAPITAL
- Tom Bamford v Simon Parke. This was always going to be tough for me, just getting back from working in the states 2 days earlier. I had beaten Tom in the final of the Chapel Allerton event but that was back in September so it was always likely a 22 year old would improve in that time! And that proved to be the case as i got well and truly hammered in the first 2 games, not moving well post flight, and my much younger opponent able to attack much better than me. I started to move a little better in the third as i gained more confidence again taking it 11-6. Things didn’t get much easier though as I battled hard to win the 4th and it remained close all the way through to the 5th game. Tom made a strong start and I found myself 8-5 down and things were not looking good for me. Somehow though i pulled myself together taking the 5th and the match 11-9.
Simon Parke beat Tom Bamford 5-11, 3-11, 11-6, 11-7, 11-9.
- Phil Bowker v Dec Christie. Dec has been playing well this season and this was probably the only match in the line-up where we were favourites. Bowker, a leftie from Huddersfield who has sometimes trained at Chapel A, is skilful and fit but doesn’t have the technical depth that Dec does. Dec showed this by holding and delaying shots well and making Bowker do the lion’s share of the movement. Dec has a particularly strong backhand which when flicked to the backhand of Bowker caused too many problems and enabled Dec to win in three.
Declan Christie beat Phil Bowker 11-6, 11-7, 11-6.
- Miles Jenkins v Stuart MacGregor. Stuart has been getting some good wins of late, notably over James Earles. He had lost to Jenkins 3-0 last time though and was definitely the underdog. Stuart started really well though taking the first 11-5 and going game ball up in the second. Jenkins fought hard though and managed to sneak the second 12-10. The pace was a bit too high from there really as Stuart still fought hard and definitely had chances but his slightly more experienced opponent had the edge taking the match in four.
Miles Jenkins beat Stuart MacGregor 5-11, 12-10, 11-5, 11-8.
- Chris Fuller v Owain Taylor. Another tall order for us but Owain gave it his all, he was dragged into Fuller’s game though somewhat in the first two. Fuller played some very tight squash which forced the errors from Owain. The third was an improvement for Owain, who was able to play more aggressively and get a game ball but a few untimely errors cost him the game and the match.
Chris Fuller beat Owain Taylor 11-6, 11-3, 12-10.
- Declan James v Mark Fuller. Declan James is now 37 in the world and starting to compete with the best in the world so again, a difficult task for Chapel. But Mark Fuller is one of the best team players in the country at present and is always capable of pulling off an upset. There was some brilliant squash from both players but Dec’s super strength is most definitely his powerful, accurate forehand. The key was to try to keep the ball away from the extended volley of James by using height or exaggerated width, and to keep the ball tight mainly down the backhand and use counter drops. This worked pretty well most of the time but Dec often had the final word unfortunately coming out a 3-0 victor.
Declan James beat Mark Fuller 11-9, 11-8, 11-6.
BARNSLEY BEAT CHAPEL ALLERTON 3-2 (16-7)
The next home match is Wednesday March 8th against Hallamshire.
137th AGM BookletThe booklet accompanying the 137th AGM which is to be held on Tuesday 7th March can be downloaded below. Copies can also be collected from c...
136th AGM MinutesPlease find the minutes of the clubs 136th AGM, held on March 8th 2016, available below. [gview file="http://chapel-a.co.uk/wp-...